The strangest thing about this whole Christianity thing is actually working out what you're SUPPOSED to do. And the weirdest thing is, once you sift and sort through every last little doctrine and rule and sermon and homily and verse of the Bible and what have you, there really is only one thing you're supposed to do. And that's believe in Jesus. But even that one 'supposed to do' thing is so incredibly difficult.
People pray it all the time. Someone will give a powerful message, invite people to come to Jesus and BAM you have 50 000 lives 'saved'. Saved? I don't know. Maybe those lives have been momentarily dazzled, or indirectly misled or even just confused into thinking this Jesus person is something He's not. Some Saviour (which he is), but one that will leap down from earth and give a reason to random circumstances and magically cure you from cancer and the list goes on.
And even so, the ones who GET IT, the ones who've been living it and knowing it and just going through it or putting up with it or however they're dealing with this information/belief (depending on your choices) still get confused. What are we SUPPOSED to do? Okay, just believing this one person doesn't seem to be enough. Everyone talks about reading your Bible (you SHOULD be reading your Bible everyday) and praying (but even then, is prayer PRAYER or is it some big long wish list you send upwards every night in hope it'll come true?). So are we SUPPOSED to do that too? I think the fact is life's gotten so complicated that the whole perserverance thing is just lost. We try, we don't get, we give up.
And is that okay? Didn't the world teach us that? Well, didn't the world teach us that looking good is all that matters? That if you marry someone but they annoy you, you divorce? That if you fail you are miserable and worthless and to just get out of everyone's way?
So, the world has pretty much messed about with our minds so much that we've lost a clear sense of where this is all going. It's probably come to the point where Jesus is a little cloudy in our understanding of him. Through language and powerful words and the fact that slowly but surely, we're becoming more and more sheep-like, looking for someone to follow, and not think for ourselves. But basically? I reckon it all stems from love. If you love this person you believe in, if you actually, truly love Jesus, the other 'supposed tos' aren't 'supposed tos' anymore. They're just things you do because it gives you a chance to be with this person you love. And I'm not saying I'm any good at this at all. I reckon this is where the hardest part of being a 'Christian', whatever that label actually means, is. That as simple as it sounds it's quite possibly the hardest thing to do. And also provides a lovely grounds for atheists or whatever to say 'why believe in something you can't see?'
Why not?
Monday, June 25, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
hmmm good point
I guess at so many times I question where God is, why I can't feel him. But there's this verse somwhere in Psalms that is where David is saying where are you god? have you turned your back on me?
THEN: he says (basically-dont quote me on this) i know you are there coz I TRUST IN YOUR LOVE
so, yeah, following jesus and knowing what to do is hard. but as for knowing if hes there-we simply trust in his love. trust that hes there.
yeah. not that related i guess.
Emzily, more pearls of wisdom. You would love this DVD series the Christies Salt group is going through - The Trouble With Paris - it's all about 'hyper reality' - the grass always being greener on the other side of the shopping centre.
And you know what? It's okay to ask for God's help to love Him, and to want Him. As we are grown up in human freewill and nature, we don't naturally want to love God - we want to love us! No matter who you are! So realistically, it should be a supernatural (God-given) gift that we can love God. And who is the only person who can give that? GOD! Strange vicious circle, but good to understand...
Yeah and Lizzy, that was good! It's so true. I will back that up with the wise words of Brooke Fraser -
"There's distance in the air and I cannot make it leave
I wave my arms' round about me and blow with all my might
I cannot sense you close, though I know you're always here
But the comfort of you near is what i long for
[CHORUS]
When I can't feel you, I have learned to reach out just the same
When I can't hear you, I know you still hear everyword I pray
And i want you more than i want to live another day
And as I wait for you maybe I'm made more faithful
All the folly of the past, though I know it is undone
I still feel the guilty one, still trying to make it right
So i whisper soft your name, let it roll around my tounge,
Knowing you're the only one who knows me
You know me."
Okay, long lyrics...but good.
Post a Comment