Saturday, April 18, 2009

Foot-release brakes

Our new Kluger is so enormous it hardly fits in the driveway. I have driven it twice now, and believe I am the master of big cars.

Big cars are good for: looking like a soccer mum; looking ridiculously small; realizing how small you are when the side mirrors become your blindspot; running over little kids; stealing spots because people are scared of you; looking important; using as both a vehicle and a house.

I've had some issues with big cars in the past. The one that stands out most in my memory would be the time I scratched and bumped a brand new Audi 4WD across two panels, and damaged the side so whenever you close the door the entire car rattles for a few seconds.

Luckily I wasn't fired.

But the thing that gets me most with these big cars is all the fancy stuff that comes with them. Most particularly, foot-release brakes. I feel extremely insecure without a handbrake next to me. It reminds me that yes I am driving a car and not an army tank, yes I have some measure of control over what I'm doing. BUT! New cars don't do handbrakes! You need to remember to put the footbrake (that sounds so freaking retarded) on, otherwise when you get of the car the whole thing wobbles and threatens to knock down your entire house.

I'm also not a fan of the whole 'oh crap I turned on the windscreen wipers instead of the indicator', but that's a dull rant for another day.

No comments: