Sunday, January 25, 2009

Being Generous

Oftentimes I find my mind comes up with things that befuddle even myself. Which is stupid because I control my mind and therefore should intimately understand it. One of these befuddling thoughts has been on my mind for some time. And it is Feeling Generous about things that actually don't count as generous.

My example for you is car parks.

When I worked a lot at Garden City and drove (because I rarely drive as I'm lazy and my parents love me and pay for a car therefore I don't have a car therefore I don't drive one often), on Saturdays I would (so rebelliously) park in the spots right near the Post Office so I had quick, easy and direct access straight out to the car with no dilly dallying, as the only shops there are for phones and I hate phones and how they always break.

Anyway, I realized something - every time I left at one thirty after my morning shift, and would walk out and see a bazillion cars circling the carpark a thousand times for four hours trying to find a spot on a Saturday afternoon (fools, who even shops then), I had this fabulous feeling like I was Doing Right by this person - sacrificing my parking spot for the betterment of their shopping afternoon for groceries and toilet paper. And maybe gourmet, overpriced yoghurt.

BUT I WASN'T! My mind was tricking me! I was not Being Generous at all. I was just leaving and that event happened to coincide with someone else coming. But it made me feel like a Better Person, and that is all that matters.

1 comment:

Klara J said...

I feel exactly the same way when I leave the shops at busy times!!!
I feel especially good about myself if I've managed to nab a particularly good spot near the entrance... I think "Gee, this person must be well-psyched to get such a great parking spot off me!"

Hehehe. Funny stuff.