As I am at work, I was pondering the difference between a client and a customer. I've had many jobs, but this is the first one I've referred to our outside sources as 'client's - I am much more accustomed to customers. But I am learning slowly. In any case, here are some of the differences I thought of:
A client sounds posh.
A customer sounds working-class.
A client is probably really rich or wears a tie a lot.
A customer is more likely to be a young/middle-aged, stay-at-home mum with a trolley full of shopping.
A client is corporate-y.
A customer is shopping centre-y.
A client has a receptionist or personal secretary, and gets their suits dry-cleaned.
A customer wears casual clothes and answers their own phone.
A client is only a client from nine till five.
A customer is always a customer.
A client probably has three of their own personal lawyers.
A customer probably has a friend of a friend who is a lawyer.
A client spends millions of dollars.
A customer spends $4.10 on a Maxi Moo and tries to barter the price.
A client walks around with a business card.
A customer doesn't.
A client gives you a handshake.
A customer calls at you from the counter.
A client makes you look after their parking.
A customer looks after their own parking.
A client is pretentious.
A customer is practical.
I do know some of these are inaccurate/stereotypical/really really superbly lame, but on the whole I think they capture the difference. I'm going to soon go and be a customer at Culleys.
Tuesday, January 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I see you have discovered the joy that is Culleys..mmm...culleys!
You make clients sound so exciting!
But guess what? When you do something big, like buy a house, you're a client for a lot of people! Chris and I have been clients for a real estate agent, a mortgage broker AND a settlement agent :) I hope they held us, their 'clients', in such high esteem as you do ;) hehehe!!!!
Post a Comment