Sunday, January 11, 2009

People Watching, Parties and Shoes

Tonight I went to an eighteenth of a person I barely know by association from about three years ago. It was strange receiving the Facebook invitation, but as it was the first weekend of my entire life where I seriously had absolutely nothing at all in the world to do, I thought, well why not? I had two good friends from high school going, I could wear my pretty white dress again, and if it was crap i could bail early.

As it was incredibly awkward, seeing as everyone except for the three of us knew it each other, I amused myself in people watching. The party was black and white themed, which brought out the inner skanky-whore in most girls, although what doesn't these days? In any case, I saw many repetitions of the same vibe of dress. I enjoyed watching the skanky dancing as the girls danced, quickly looked to see if any guys were watching, then kept moving (out of time, may I add!!! And also moving, not dancing.) But my personal favourite was the jumpsuit.

Now, while most girls know that you can go short, tight and low-cut, there are limits. If it's strapless and backless, Hollywood tape is your friend. Your very very very best friend. If you are going to wear a black jumpsuit, that is backless, odd-fitting, has a massive frill at the front, and is cut too far around to not help you from preventing showing your boobs to the whole world, your mum/best friend needs to have a serious chat to you. You will not look good. It is not possible. If you want to look good, put a paper bag on your head. Or don't dance, and expose even more of those parts that do not need exposing.

But I will throw this in for all those guys that seem to think that shoes do not make an outfit - you are fools. If someone wears a beautiful dress and a pair of thongs, they may as well cut the dress up with an axe and feed it to a dog, then use it as a doona. There is no point owning a nice dress if you aren't going to make it awesome by wearing awesome shoes. You can even wear a crap dress, and wear awesome shoes, and win at life. Shoes make or break whether or not you are the best person there. Trust me. I have the best shoes, and subsequently am always the best person at a party. =D I am joking, but I'm not joking about shoes being the most important accessory besides a flattering dress/outfit and decent makeup.

It's basically a gospel truth.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It IS a basic gospel truth.

People are such fools, Emily. I am sitting on my bed staring at my all-time favourite shoes thinking, "how can they NOT make an outfit better?"

I people-watched at an engagement party last night. Verrrrry intersting!

sars. said...

Amen to that :)