Monday, May 31, 2010

Is it just me, or is Facebook getting just a little carried away with the number of groups you can like? (seeing as now becoming a fan is a thing of the past.)

Everytime I log on to facebook there is lists and lists of people who've 'liked cheese and eighteen other profiles.' Come on guys.

I'll admit some of them are really funny. Or particularly true: 'University - Working hard 12 hours a day, 7 days a week, 2 weeks a year.'

Although today I saw one that struck me: 'Never allow someone to be your priority while you're just their option.'
Despite thinking its a shame this point is a facebook profile because it cheapens it a lot, it hit me how true that is. And probably how it's high time that thought gets implemented. On the other hand, I also wondered how fair that really is. Bringing in another fabulous current reference, I adore How I Met Your Mother. I recently watched an episode about being on someone's hook, making a very similar point to the above, where if you're 'on the hook' you're prioritising someone who makes you their option, and if you're the person with the hook, you're being heartless and leaving this person dangling because it makes you feel better. Famous phrases include the really popular '...right now.' Anyway, it's all about being a pathetic puppy dog and hanging around because you hope it'll work out for you.

I'm just as guilty of this as anyone and it drives me crazy. I hate seeing it in myself, because really, everyone knows they deserve better than to be walked over again and again and keep sucking it up, trying over and over just to get spat on over and over. It has to stop.

Primarily because Facebook and How I Met Your Mother say so. But also because well, everyone deserves to have some degree of self-respect. And I think that's a good a starting point as any to get some.

No comments: